Karachi, August 08, 2019 (PPI-OT): KSBL held an enriching Eminent Speaker Series talk on Education System of Pakistan: Challenges and Way Forward. The talk was delivered by Mr. Shafqat Mahmood (Federal Minister of Education, Pakistan). The event was attended by notable vice chancellors of prominent universities, renowned personalities from the education sector and youth from various educational institutions along with dignitaries from the corporate sector.
Prior to the session, Mr. Shafqat Mahmood had a brief meeting with vice chancellors of educational institutions. Dr. Zeeshan Ahmed (Dean, KSBL) shared about the vision behind KSBL and said, “At KSBL our focus is not just to make business acumen of students stronger, we also aim to create future business leaders with exemplary character. Through latest pedagogies, role plays and case studies we instil the competencies of critical thinking and strategic mindset; that help them soar in their career.”
The session formally began with welcome address by the Director KSBL, Mr. Muneer Kamal. Speaking on the occasion Mr. Kamal said, “In the incredibly chaotic political atmosphere of the country, Mr. Shafqat is the epitome of sovereignty and elegance…It’s an honour to have him with us today at KSBL.” He also expressed that amongst all the other representatives in current government, the most difficult and challenging responsibility has been given to Mr. Mahmood, of education reform which he is handling stupendously.
Commenting on his first visit at KSBL, Mr. Shafqat Mahmood said that he was pleased to witness how institute is preparing future leaders of the corporate world. He further mentioned that the one thing that distinguishes this institute from the others, is its focus on character building and skills development of students.
Discussing about the existing challenges in education sector of Pakistan he said, “After 71 years of our independence the literacy rate of Pakistan is hovering around 62%, which means the remaining lot of 38% is completely illiterate. This is a prominent challenge that as a state we are confronting and together we need initiatives to overcome these obstacles.” Furthermore, he discussed about the current government’s vision of establishing a standardized Education system with a well-designed national curriculum. He also made an announcement to offer Undergrad Scholarships of worth PKR 6 billion, followed by multiple certifications for skills development of individuals.
Concluding the exuberant session on a high note, Dr. Zeeshan Ahmed said that the most important key takeaway from today’s session is where Mr. Shafqat shared the vision of having a system where there is standardization, accreditation and certification. He further added that in the process of education system if students and teachers are intrinsically engaged that’s where the miracles tend to happen. At the end of session Mr. Inam-ur-Rahman (CEO – DH Corp.) presented Mr. Shafqat Mahmood with the memento.
For more information, contact:
Karachi School for Business and Leadership
Tel: (92-21) 35634125-6
Fax: (92-21) 35634129