Karachi, January 17, 2014 (PPI-OT): First of all we are thankful to you for attending this important Press Conference. The prime reason for holding this press conference is to announce the results of the recently held elections of PMA Centre, which were held at Abbottabad (KPK), Karachi (Sindh), Lahore (Punjab) and Quetta (Balochistan) from 10th January to 13th January, 2014 respectively with the permission of the Honorable Sindh High Court. The process of the elections was endorsed and declared by the General Body Meeting. Following candidates were declared successful.
1. Dr. Aziz Ahmed Lehri, President-Elect
2. Dr. Mirza Ali Azhar, Secretary General
3. Dr. S.M.Qaisar Sajjad, Treasurer
4. Dr. Shahid Shaukat Malik, Joint Secretary – I
5. Dr. M. Aslam Khan Marwat, Joint Secretary – II
6. Dr. M. Idrees Adhi, Chairman Editorial Board-JPMA
After assuming the office the new cabinet wants to unveil the road map of its activities.
1. First of all the PMA wants to re-organize its branches at all level. It was decided in the General Body Meeting that non-members will not be allowed to do politics in the name of PMA. All branches will have to carry out their elections regularly in the presence of a nominated observer of PMA Centre and get properly registered with PMA Centre.
2. PMA will take the issue of falling standards of Medical Education and the role of PMDC on priority basis. PMA will enhance its struggle to get rid of the corrupt personels from PMDC to get the proper re-structuring. PMA wants to see PMDC as an independent democratic and autonomous body.
3. PMA will launch a series of awareness campaigns for the general public regarding the preventable diseases with the help of Media and Pharma industry.
4. PMA will enhance its struggle to get the Health Care Commission Bill passed by all the four Provincial Assemblies to protect the rights of doctors and patients.
5. As you know that Journal of Pakistan Medical Association (JPMA) is one the most prestigious index Medical Journal in the world. After the election of Prof. Idrees Adhi as its Chairman, Editorial Board, PMA will put all its efforts to improve the standard of the Journal.
6. Doctors all over the country are facing the administrative problems regarding their jobs, security problems and harassment by some criminals. PMA will help the colleagues in whatever way possible.
7. Health of the Nation report is the Annual feature of PMA Centre. This report is being prepared and will be launched in the second week of February, 2014.
8. PMA wants to extend medical help to its journalist friends and their families. We plan to have regular free medical camp at Press Clubs at least on 3 monthly basis.
9. Pakistan Medical Association is in the process of organizing a congress of SAARC Medical Association in Karachi in the backdrop of eradication of Polio from the region.
For more information, Contact:
Dr. Samrina Hashmi
Pakistan Medical Association
PMA House- 85 Saddar Bazar
Cell No: 0333-2347623